“Walking into the Forteza Fitness club in Chicago’s Ravenswood neighborhood is like strolling into a cultural time machine,” begins John Owens’ new article and video feature for the Chicago Tribune. The video highlights the antagonisticathlon event that served as a “graduation” for the Bartitsu Club of Chicago’s introductory 6-week course as well as historical fencing action from members of the Chicago Swordplay Guild and demonstrations of some physical culture exercises.
The new Forteza Fitness, Physical Culture & Martial Arts center in Chicago’s Ravenswood area is a unique 5000 sq. ft., c.1900 facility, with classes in historical swordplay, 19th century antagonistics and ‘old school’ fitness training.
Beginning in late January 2012, Forteza Fitness, Physical Culture & Martial Arts will offer:
* a fitness studio combining functional fitness training with modern nutritional counseling
* 19th century “physical culture” – workouts using calisthenics, Indian clubs, medicine balls, therapeutic gymnastics, body-weight exercises and games designed to create natural strength and grace with athletic performance
* the Midwest’s only full-time school for the study of traditional Western martial arts including historical swordplay – the art of the longsword, rapier, arming sword, as well as Bartitsu – the martial art made famous by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s beloved character, Sherlock Holmes
* classes with Chicagoland’s only licensed instructor in Martial Blade Concepts (MBC) self-defense – a nationally renowned system of hand, stick and knife defense designed for modern people with limited training time
* a “Gymuseum” of antique exercise equipment and 19th century prints portraying combat sport athletes in training
* an international center for education on the rich, sophisticated martial traditions of Western Civilization
* an innovative, eclectic series of workshops, lectures and unique social events.
New to historical swordfighting? Forteza Fitness, Physical Culture & Martial Arts will offer the Chicago Swordplay Guild’s ever-popular introductory classes in the medieval longsword and the Renaissance rapier! The C.S.G. will also continue to provide Introductory Classes at the Chicago Park District-Pulaski Park location as part of the CPD Arts Partners Program.
The website is coming soon; in the meantime you can contact the organizers for updates on classes, seminars and special events!